Between preparing for exams, applications and attending conferences this is the time that most people have a booked up calendar. For my students reading I know that midterms are coming up so this post is for you. With the right preparation studying can be a less stressful time. When I was in college we had Study-A-Thons during the weekend before finals week. We had peer tutors, free food and even study snacks. If you don’t have this gather a group of your friends and start your own Study-A-Thon.
My Top Study Tips:
- Read, write, repeat. Towards the end of college I learned the art of reading, writing and repeating to study. This was a game changer because it gave me time to go home and review my notes and rewrite them. When I did this I was able to recall the information which helped me retain it later.
- Set a time: Set time for what you are studying for and include breaks using a color coding system. Use the Pomodoro Technique on MyTomatoes to track your progress. For example, if you study for 2 hours straight take a 30-minute break or if you study for 1 hour straight take a 10-minute break. See what works for you and stick with it.
- Change your atmosphere: If you are on the computer or in the laboratory for a long time step a way for a bit. Go outside, change your atmosphere or do a quick yoga routine. This will help you recharge when you go back to studying.
- Limit junk food: Instead of reaching for junk food add some healthy snacks into your rotation. Grab a healthy snack, like a piece of fruit, hummus, granola bar, or a trail mix. Snacks packed with healthy proteins and fats will give you a boost to power through your next study session.
- Do something that is not related to your studies: If you are studying for a technical subject take a break and read something that is not technical. This helps take your mind off the subject for a while and avoids burnout. Then when you return to your original subject you will be ready to go.
- Reward yourself: After studying for long hours, remember to reward yourself. Set a reward at the start of your session and then when you finish studying you can claim the reward. It can be as simple as meeting up with a friend to watch a movie or grabbing some ice cream.
What are your study tips? Share below.